Online Mediation works better than you might think.
In these days of Covid we are all becoming experts in talking to each other online. Mediation is no exception and we and our clients have seen that mediation can continue effectively online.
We thought we would compile a list of pros and cons as well as some tips for online family mediation.
On the plus side, you are in your own home. You don’t have to travel across the town or county through traffic to find parking near an office you may not be familiar with.
Against this is the fact that you may think that you don’t get a proper sense of how the other person is feeling about any suggestions you make as you are not in the same room.
While it is true that mediating online takes some of the emotion out of the discussions, you can still ask questions of the mediator and each other to understand perspectives. You may be surprised at how similar online mediation is to mediation in person.
Mediation online is still totally confidential. We check out with you both that you are on your own, that doors are closed and you are not recording. We ask you to sign an agreement to mediate to this effect.
We ask that you:
- Make sure you will not be interrupted, distracted or overheard.
- Do not have anyone in the room with you unless agreed with everyone in advance
- Ensure you have a reliable broadband connection. Check your microphone and camera are working on your device. Consider having a headphone available so you can hear well and that no one else in other rooms can hear discussions either.
- Check your lighting so your face is seen.
- Consider what you have in view of the camera in your room.
- The meeting will last about an hour and a half. We suggest you have a beverage available.
- It is helpful to have to hand copies of any documents you have provided for mediation in case you need to refer to them.
- Ask for a break if you need one.
If you still have any questions about how it all works we go through this in detail in an initial meeting which we have with each of you separately before mediation begins. We are also happy to answer any questions about online mediation before an initial meeting begins.
Please call us on 01462 429735